what's the point of filing bugs against Fedora?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 21:51:02 UTC 2014

On 14 January 2014 20:17, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> >Even reporting upstream doesn't always help.  The problem I mentioned
> has been > sitting upstream for 3 weeks with no response
>
> Yes indeed.  That can happen.  What did you really expect? You are not
> using a commercial product with any kind of support agreements.  Most of
> the components you use in Fedora is written and maintained by volunteers
> who might not respond quickly to a bug report if they are busy.  Even for
> components that has been developed primarily by commercial organizations,
> they aren't necessarily going to prioritize your issues.  In general, I
> would recommend you file bug reports upstream if they aren't specific to
> Fedora.
>

> A big part of this is that there's little communication between fedora and
other bugzillas. It's confusing and frustrating for people to report a bug
against Fedora and get told they need to report it somewhere else, at the
same time I realise packagers aren't keen on cutting and pasting bug
reports to upstream, especially as they can't provide any information
upstream might ask for. On the other hand the casual bug reporter can't be
expected to be able to determine that their bug is an upstream one, so if
the package maintainer or triager is able to look at a bug and say, "this
is an upstream issue", then click a button to connect it upwards that would
stop this being a problem.