Audio problems

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jan 15 19:44:24 UTC 2014

On 01/15/2014 01:54 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:17:20AM +0000, Christopher Ross wrote:
>> This could be related to a regression I am seeing on Fedora 20.
>> Pretty much every time a user logs in (or switch user) on Fedora 20
>> with KDE the audio output defaults to "headphones" and I have to
>> manually change it to "line out", even though there is nothing
>> connected to the headphones socket and there is an amplifier
>> connected to the line out socket. If I do plug in headphones
>> thereafter, the sound switches to headphones as it should. This used
>> to work exactly as you would expect (i.e. defaulting to "line out"
>> unless there are headphones plugged in) under Fedora 19 and 18
>> before that on exactly the same hardware.
>>
>> If anyone can point me to a solution I would be grateful.
> On my laptop (Lenovo T530) logging into Gnome the audio always goes to
> the digital output via HDMI. I have to go into sound settings to put it
> back to analog for my docking station or headphone jack.

Using the Gnome 3.10 settings > sound, all I see is HDMI, Speakers -
built-in Audio, and Analog Output - Built-in Audio. Speakers is how it
comes up.  The profile is only Analog Stereo Output.  The test results
in no sound from the speakers, but from the headphones.  If I switch to
Analog Output, still nothing out of the speakers.