Xsane only as root

Peter Skensved peter at jay.Phy.QueensU.CA
Thu Jan 16 03:48:12 UTC 2014

> Xsane can only find the scanner as root.
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04a9:1909 Canon, Inc. CanoScan LiDE 110
>
> This is an F-20 64 bit xfce system. I can probably get by this way but
> it is inconvenient.
>
> What do I need to change?
>
> Bob

 It is a udev problem. I had a similar problem with an HP PSC1315
scanner. In that case udev expected to find the rules in /lib/udev/..
but the RPM package put them in /usr/lib/udev/...  ( on CentOS6.5 )

 Soft linking and running udevadm to reolad the rules fixed the problem.

 Also, I've seen suggestions that specifically adding an entry to
/etc/sane.d/genesys.conf may work ( on Ubuntu at least )

                                        peter