Fedora - Windows 8/8.1 dual boot

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 19:05:34 UTC 2014

On 01/15/2014 04:40 PM, Quicksort wrote:
> Has anyone successfully installed Fedora 18, 19 or 20 in dual boot
> with Windows 8/8.1 ?
> How does the installation process differ from setting up a
> Fedora/Windows 7 or XP dual boot ?
> Are there pitfalls one should know about ?

I have install F19 on a system with Windows 8/8.1 installed.  The
install process created the grub menu entry, however, I cannot boot
Windows 8.1 from the grub menu.  I get the following:

/EndEntire
file path:
/ACPI(...)/PCI(2,1f)/UnknownMessaging(12)/HD(1,800,...)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\)/File(bootmgfw.efi)/Endntire

error: cannot load image
error: you need to load kernel first

Press any key to continue ...

The "Press any key to continue" message must be a joke, because a few
seconds after I get these messages the system reboots.  I had to try to
boot Windows several times to get enough of the first message.  The
"..." in the file path message indicates that there is stuff there but I
couldn't get it written down do to the system rebooting after about 10
seconds.

The only way I can boot to Windows is to keep hitting F12 until I get
the boot order menu, and select Windows from there.

Paolo