Finding neighbours on my LAN

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Fri Jan 17 21:12:14 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 20:42 +0100, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 02:27:41PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:14:29 +0100
> > Suvayu Ali wrote:
> >
> > > Can someone point me in the right direction?
> >
> > Get a better router that supports DNS as well as DHCP?
>
> My landlord owns the router.  I think the easiest setup for me would be
> if the router could assign a predetermined ip for a given mac_address.
> I can't setup my computers to use fixed ip as they are portables and
> leave the house.  I use fixed ip outside the DHCP range for my desktop.

I think that's actually no longer a serious issue, as NetworkManager now
supports profiles.  In the Network settings app, you can select settings
for each WiFi access point and you can create profiles for the wired
interface as well.  Profiles can be associated with IPV4 and IPV6
settings (including whether you DHCP or assign a permanent IP), security
settings, and firewall zones, so you can have a permissive firewall at
home, open ports for needed services at work, and have a tightly closed
firewall for public access points.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences