email failure

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 22:46:04 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Richard Vickery <rmv1 at sfu.ca> wrote:

> The problem with bottom-posting on this server is that when I  send, it is
> hard for some, perhaps everyone, to know where the quoted message stops and
> my contribution begins. If you go to the bottom of this email you will see
> that your contribution is not "quoted" as such, and - especially if the
> same font were used - you can't really tell without paying really close
> attention to the "--" where the exchange starts.

Once again, I strongly doubt that this is being caused by the server. It's
much more likely to be caused by your email client, which I see is the
Zimbra web client. Someone else already explained how to change your
settings to get bottom-posting. You can no doubt also use alternative
clients on the same email server.

> I recently quit Gmail because I got sick of that they read your email AND
> they treat users as products rather than citizens, selling your information
> that you freely give them without offering you anything for it.

I was under the impression that they gave you a free (and very effective)
email service. However this is OT for the list so let's just leave it at
that. My point is that your adhesion to the list guidelines is not
dependent on which server you use. In particular, you should avoid
top-posting and posting in HTML. The guidelines are mentioned at the foot
of every message on this list.

poc