autofs & ipa (was Re: nfs mounts fail at boot if bind is running....)

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Sun Jan 19 01:52:25 UTC 2014

On 18/01/14 20:03, Frank Murphy wrote:

>> Does NetworkManager-wait-online actually still work in F19+? I have
>> similar issues with autofs (ie IPA not available when autofs starts)
>> and setting this in F18 and earlier solved the problem. Makes no
>> difference in F19+.
>>

> Would having nm.service start earlier help?

Actually I decided to have a another look and it's a bit more
complicated than I first thought. Autofs is starting up after
NetworkManager-wait-online but the problem was also that gdm doesn't.
This means after boot up on this box, I can login before the network is
fully ready which means I don't get a kerberos ticket and I'm unable to
access NFS mounts etc. I suspect the reason why I never hit the gdm
issue before was because I wasn't using a fast SSD, so the simple time
it took to load X and GDM meant the network just happened to be ready by
then. So the complete fix for me was to:

systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online
systemctl disable autofs
systemctl disable gdm

cp -a
/usr/lib/systemd/system/{autofs.service,NetworkManager-wait-online.service,gdm.service}
/etc/systemd/system/

Edit /etc/systemd/system/NetworkManager-wait-online.service and set:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/nm-online -q --timeout=180

Edit /etc/systemd/system/autofs.service and set:
After=network.target ypbind.service sssd.service
NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Edit /etc/systemd/system/gdm.service and set:
After=systemd-user-sessions.service getty at tty1.service
plymouth-quit.service NetworkManager-wait-online.service

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online
systemctl enable autofs
systemctl enable gdm

--
Ian Chapman.