Finding neighbours on my LAN

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Jan 19 11:15:40 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-19 at 00:32 +0100, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi Tim, Matthew, others,
>
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 09:12:14PM +0000, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > > My landlord owns the router.  I think the easiest setup for me would be
> > > if the router could assign a predetermined ip for a given mac_address.
> > > I can't setup my computers to use fixed ip as they are portables and
> > > leave the house.  I use fixed ip outside the DHCP range for my desktop.
> >
> > I think that's actually no longer a serious issue, as NetworkManager now
> > supports profiles.  In the Network settings app, you can select settings
> > for each WiFi access point and you can create profiles for the wired
> > interface as well.  Profiles can be associated with IPV4 and IPV6
> > settings (including whether you DHCP or assign a permanent IP), security
> > settings, and firewall zones, so you can have a permissive firewall at
> > home, open ports for needed services at work, and have a tightly closed
> > firewall for public access points.
>
> I had forgotten about this possibility.  This works nicely for wireless
> using SSIDs, is it possible to do this for wired connections?  After all
> they do not have something similar to SSID to serve as identifier.

Open the Network Settings app, select the Wired connection, and click
Add Profile.  The Identity setting allows you to give the profile a
custom name and select a Firewall Zone (among other settings).  The IPv4
and IPv6 settings let you select DHCP or Manual, select a DNS server and
set routes.

Firewall zones can be customized in the Firewall Settings app.

I haven't actually used hardwired profiles, so I'm not sure how you
select the active one for a connection.  That may be a manual process.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences