Password for shutdown -

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Jan 19 15:26:38 UTC 2014

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 10:06:12 -0500 "Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA"
<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> On 19/01/14 10:01, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Hi Bob,
> >
> > Does  the command
> >
> > poweroff
> >
> > also require a password now? I only reboot (or hibernate also, for my
> > laptop) so I have not done either for a long long time.
> >
> > Ranjan
> >
> [bobg at box10 ~]$ poweroff
> Failed to issue method call: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes
> include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus
> security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
> network connection was broken.
> Must be root.

Try systemctl shutdown or password? I am just throwing stuff at you: no
way for me to verify whether this works (because I don't want to
shutdown).

Another option: edit your sudoers file to include your specific
sudo shutdown command to be done without a password.

HTH,
Ranjan