How is wireless signal strength for NetworkManager calculated

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Jan 20 04:58:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

I was wondering how wireless signal strength (as displayed by the
network-manager applet) is calculated. There is a percentage reported:
what does this percent mean and where does NetworkManager get its
values from?

While I am  here, I also wanted to know the answer to the question as
to how the interfaces are decided in latter-day Fedoras: to elucidate,
it used to be that eth0 and wlan0 and ppp0 were the interfaces. Now it
seems to depend (and vary from one machine to the other). How do these
get decided nowadays? Is there a generic way to get to the correct
interface to use in programming? I am thinking of conky which requires
the interface (from ifconfig, say) to set up signal strength, etc.

Many thanks for any enlightenment and best wishes,
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use