Naughty question: copy Windows XP under Fedora?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Jan 20 11:26:25 UTC 2014

To:             	users at lists.fedoraproject.org
From:           	Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it>
Subject:        	Naughty question: copy Windows XP under Fedora?
Date sent:      	Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:29:07 +0100
Send reply to:  	gayleard at eircom.net,

> I always keep a copy of Windows XP on my computers.
> I very rarely use them, but find that they are occasionally useful. In
> any case, with the upcoming death of XP I'm thinking of keeping a
> backup copy of my Windows partition on a USB stick or external hard
> disk.
>
> I looked briefly for a method for this under Windows,
> but all the solutions I found seemed either absurdly complicated
> or else were linked to expensive programs which I certainly don't
> want.
>
> It struck me that there is probably a simpler way of doing this under
> Linux, and I was wondering if someone not of a fanatical bent might
> help me.

There are a number of options for doing a backup. I've been maintainer of
the g4l project since 2004, and it has options for backing up linux, and other
partitions. In my classroom, I have it setup to run as an option to restore the
XP partition on old systems in about 12 minutes for the 40G partition using
ntfsclone image. Just got new machines 2 weeks ago, and have them setup
with Windows 7 and Fedora 20. The Grub menu now has an option to restore
the 160G partition in about 9 1/2 minutes, but only has about 25G of space
used, which makes the NTFSCLONE image better since it backs up just
used space.  This wouldn't be a running version, but would be a backup of
the data. Would also need to backup mbr with partition table to restore. There
might also be options to run XP under Virtualbox or other options, or
depending on the needs, usine WINE, dosbox, or dosemu.

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
>

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA     10167349.112591   |   SETI        17694336.630174
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    15500980.789852