f20 - difference between i386 and x86_64 distros

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 13:41:14 UTC 2014

On 20 January 2014 08:56, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 08:44:11 +0000
> Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> However I think most developers are using 64bit by
>> this stage, so from that point of view 64bit is better supported.
>>

> The day will come when all OS providers,
> will give cutoff for 32bit hardware\code

Maybe, but multiple architectures (mobile systems, ARM) mean that wont
happen for a while. Still at this point, except for legacy
applications and old hardware, it's worth moving. Also, code written
for 64 bit should work on 32 bit except for memory limitations, like
going the other way 32bit code that doesn't run on 64bit is usually
because it wasn't very well written. And multilib means you don't need
the whole OS to be 32bit just to use old apps if you need to.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk