Naughty question: copy Windows XP under Fedora?

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Mon Jan 20 14:44:25 UTC 2014

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:

> Am 20.01.2014 11:29, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
>>  I always keep a copy of Windows XP on my computers.
>>  I very rarely use them, but find that they are occasionally useful.
>>  In any case, with the upcoming death of XP
>>  I'm thinking of keeping a backup copy of my Windows partition
>>  on a USB stick or external hard disk.
>>
>>  I looked briefly for a method for this under Windows,
>>  but all the solutions I found seemed either absurdly complicated
>>  or else were linked to expensive programs which I certainly don't want.
>>
>>  It struck me that there is probably a simpler way of doing this under
>>  Linux,
>>  and I was wondering if someone not of a fanatical bent might help me.
>>

> "How to migrate existing Windows installations to VirtualBox"
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows
>
> I didn't try that yet, but I am inclined to do so due to XP's forthcoming
> end-of-life.
>
> Klaus

Thanks for that.  I tried to figure out how to get my OEM Windows XP over to Virtualbox and could never do it.  It the end, I just went to ebay and bought a copy of XP for $30 and installed it from the CD into Virtualbox.  It's been running for three or four years and has been backed up and retrieved multiple times, including moving from Fedora to Mint and back.  I've never had to reinstall from scratch.  The only hassle I've had was once switching machines that had different graphics cards (NVIDIA to Radeon or vice versa) and I had to go in and edit the registry to get graphics to work -- but that was a known Windows issue.

billo