Naughty question: copy Windows XP under Fedora?

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 20 17:16:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-01-20 at 11:29 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> In any case, with the upcoming death of XP
> I'm thinking of keeping a backup copy of my Windows partition

The problem with doing this is that, most likely for licensing reasons,
XP installations are tied very closely to the hardware they are running
on. With Linux, I can take the disk drive, insert it into a new
computer, and as long as the boot loader installed on the drive (and the
CPU architecture of the OS) is compatible with the new computer, Linux
boots are runs happily, but Windows after 2000 will blue screen (at
least this is what I have observed). This means you can make a backup
copy of your XP partition to preserve the files, but it may not actually
boot and run.

--Greg