mailx help

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jan 21 13:54:10 UTC 2014

On 01/21/14 21:43, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 22:16:19 -0800
> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> using mailx to supposedly mail to myself with no sendmail.  cron is
>> failing in the mailing and the message ends in dead.letter.
> This is why:
> from cronie runjob.c
>
>   /* Check that we have a way of sending mail. */
>     if(stat(SENDMAIL, &buf))
>     {
> 	complain("Can't find sendmail at %s, not mailing output",
> SENDMAIL); return;
>     }

me thinks you're forgetting the thread from back in December.  Recall that crond has a configuration file in /etc/sysconfig which has CRONDARGS= to allow one to the -m option.....

      -m     This  option  allows  you  to  specify a shell command to use for
              sending Cron mail output instead of using sendmail(8)  This  com‐
              mand must accept a fully formatted mail message (with headers) on
              standard input and send it as a mail message  to  the  recipients
              specified  in the mail headers.  Specifying the string off (i.e.,
              crond -m off) will disable the sending of mail.

I too have pretty much forgotten about that thread.  But, it now seems that using mailx still needs sendmail as mailx submits to sendmail's queue.

But, in my limited testing, using procmail would not require sendmail.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts