dns/dhcp client - hooks??

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 17:45:23 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:20:37 -0500
bruce wrote:

> I asked, how one can go about updating a local dns using nsupdate from
> the clients, based on the dhclient updates, or words to that effect..

I know nuthin about nsupdate. I've used dhcp and bind together
to provide dynamic DNS, but I did it a long time ago and I remember
it being very much not fun to get it all working. The dhcp
and the dns server have to be configured to talk to one another
and they need keys installed on both systems to verify they
are supposed to be able to talk, etc.

Then the dhcp client on each system needs to know to tell dhcp
it's name (which seems to be something that needs configuring
differently on every linux distro - sometimes it is automatic,
sometimes you have to poke config files with a stick :-).

My named.conf file has something like this in the global

options {
   forwarders { other DNS server IPs; };
};

Then has a:

key DHCP_UPDATER {
  algorithm hmac-md5;
  secret some generated key gibberish goes here;
};

Then I have zone file decls to setup a local subnet.

Then the dhcpd.conf file also has the same DHCP_UPDATER
key section and zone definitions that mention it and
correspond to the zones in the named.conf file.

It also has this option:

ddns-update-style interim;

There is probably more junk that needs to be done
because I remember taking weeks to get it all to
work :-).