Updated to f20, but can only boot f19.

William Mattison mattison.computer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 23:55:24 UTC 2014

Joe asks:

> > And I did "fedup --network 20".
>
> Have you run the upgrade yet?

Yes, I did that Monday afternoon.  I did not watch it continually, but I saw no indication of trouble until the boot screen came up with no Fedora-20.

Important question...  Given my answer above, is what Chris advises...

> 1.
>
> "Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR…"
>
> Why has this
never been updated? I have to go back to Fedora 16 to find a GRUB this
old. Since what's in the MBR points to
> core.img at sector 1, and the
first partition starts at LBA 2048, it's safe to have Fedora 19
reinstall grub. I would replace it:

> grub2-install /dev/sda
>
> 2.
> I'd also replace the grub.cfg with one created by grub2-mkconfig:
>
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
> It
 appears you have custom boot parameters "nouveau.modeset=0
rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off" in which case you
> should
have edited /etc/default/grub and added those boot parameters to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=. If you haven't, do that
> before running
grub2-mkconfig so that those boot options get picked up in the new
grub.cfg.

> And I did "fedup --network 20".
>
> Try:
>
> fedup --network 20 --debuglog fedupdebug.log
>
> Before
 rebooting, confirm that fedup says it's ready for you to reboot the
system, and then fpaste the fedupdebug.log (or pastebin it).

> Chris Murphy

... still the proper things to do?

Chris's part 1 raises another question.  My system was new in March 2013.  Fedora-18 was installed.  Whatever grub came with that is the grub that was installed.  I ran "yum update" every week.  In July or August, I updated to Fedora-19.  I continue to run "yum update" every week.  So why is my grub so out-of date?  Doesn't the "yum update" take care of that?  By the way, I don't recall doing anything to customize my grub boot parameters.  Could this have something to do with this being a dual-boot system?

thanks,
Bill.