F18: new boot-up sequence, but old partitions still in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg !?!?!?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Jan 23 01:10:13 UTC 2014

On Jan 22, 2014, at 1:23 AM, Stub <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have F18 on an i686 PC.
>
> I have changed my boot up sequence from logical volumes to regular partitions.
> Upon regenerating the grub2 boot process, the grub2 keeps creating a /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file that refers to the non-existing logical volumes. Hence, the boot process fails with a dracut-initqueue error.
>
> Here is what I have done:
>
> The system partitions are in logical volumes on a small hard disk (/dev/VolGroup/lv_root, /dev/VolGroup/lv_var, /dev/VolGroup/lv_tmp etc.).
> The home directory is on a separate big 1GB harddisk as regular partition.
>
> The small system harddisk showed signs of break down; I repartitioned the 1GB disk to also include the system:
> sda1 256MB /boot
> sda2   4GB /
> sda3   1GB swap
> sda4 Extended
> sda5   4GB /var
> sda6   1GB /tmp
> sda7  50GB /srv
> sda8 871GB /home
>
> For that I copied all the files from the logical volumes to the new partitions.

You copied them how, with what command exactly?

Since you were using LVM, it seems easier to make the new drive a PV, add it to the existing VG, then use pvmove to migrate the extents to the new drive, then remove the old drive PV from the VG. The same grub.cfg will still work. I'm not sure if the initramfs needs rebuilding but doesn't hurt. grub2-install does need to happen, however…

> I then prepared the new boot sequence after booting from a live USB boot medium:
>
> # mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
> # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
> # mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/var
> # mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/tmp
> # mount -t proc none /mnt/proc
> # mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
> # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
> # chroot /mnt /bin/bash
>
> Then I do in the chroot I do:
>
> # grub2-install /dev/sda
> # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> # exit

Well, the /dev stuff actually does contain LVM based entries, and you're binding that to the chroot. But then I've also never set up a chroot the way you did. I use -B for /proc, /sys, and /dev rather than -t. I also only chroot /mnt, rather than the additional /bin/bash which I don't understand.

You can use grub-install --debug to get more verbose information on how the core.img is being created that might give clues why it's confused. And to get more verbose info from grub-mkconfig you can preface it with bash -x.

> Why does the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg still have entries to the logical volumes?

It's clearly confused, I think the chroot isn't correctly set up.

Chris Murphy