gphoto2 only as root -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jan 23 13:23:15 UTC 2014

On 23/01/14 06:19, Tim wrote:
> Were you logged in as yourself when connecting your camera hardware
> (whether by cable, or putting a memory card in)?
>
> I've had similar problems, once or twice, when I've switched users, and
> found I couldn't read a card.  It would appear that when the thingummy
> was plugged in, a device was created for it on the fly, and that device
> was owned by a particular user.  If I had disconnected, and waited a bit
> more before changing user, it would have worked.  As is had done, since
> then.

I never switch users except perhaps in a terminal when su/root is
required. I tried unplugging the cable, waiting, etc. Initially there
was no suitable app. installed, I yummed gphoto and things went down
hill from there. Restarted F-19 and had to yum gphoto there and a few
seconds later was looking ta the pictures of interest!

Fedora-20 has been getting worse each day it seems, so I am preparing to
remove and eventually re-install it. The big problem seems to be that it
refuses to recognize the user as authorized to do many ordinary things.
I don't know what has happened but I don't want to waste any more time
with this copy [from the dvd version].

I first need to be certain I've got everything I need copied to F-19. I
am writing this from F-19 which works pretty much without a hitch ...

Thanks for the response,

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD