IPv6 breakage in NetworkManager

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 23 15:27:19 UTC 2014

On 01/22/2014 12:52 AM,
> From: Dan Irwin<rummymobile at gmail.com>

> Seeing significant issues with IPv6. After some time, IPv6 completely seems
> to stop working. IPv4 is unaffected.
>
> Re-connecting to wifi seems to restore IPv6 connectivity.
>
> However, various things (ssh, firefox) stop working completely. Open ssh
> sessions "freeze". Web page requests time out.
>
> At the same time, I can access IPv6 resources from other machines which do
> not run NetworkManager.
>
> Next time this occurs, I hope to have some time to diagnose this problem
> further. In the meantime, is anyone else seeing such breaking wrt IPv6?
>
> Something to note, I run numerous servers with IPv6, both physical and
> virtual. These servers run CentOS; None run NetworkManager, and all have
> working IPv6 connectivity.

I have been seeing similar issues with NM on IPv4 with an Intel 4965
wifi chipset.
It got so bad on F17 that I installed an Asus N-10 rtl8712u based USB stick.
SAME PROBLEM over the last two days attempting to install F20 and
actually get it to work (KDE problems).
The nm=applet would notify me that it was disconnected, but on opening
the applet, it would show it was still connected BUT there was actually
no connection. Sometimes I can get it to re-connect: about 30% of the time.

IF I can get F20 installed, I will disable NM and move to wicd which
seems to work.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury