F18: new boot-up sequence, but old partitions still in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg !?!?!?

Stub spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 00:57:30 UTC 2014

Let me comment on my own message:

I believe I forgot to scrutinize the file /etc/default/grub.

This file is 'automagically' created when fedora (grub2 ?) is installed the very first time, and its contents is based on the boot conditions at that time.

When changing the boot conditions later, those changes are NOT 'automagically' progressed into a new /etc/default/grub. I guess this has to be done manually.

The "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" uses the settings in /etc/default/grub to create the grub.cfg file. Hence, without changing the default grub file, the old boot conditions still appear in the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file.

I found many manual on the web about "how to make a new grub2 boot loader", but none mention to scrutinize the default grub file for old configuration settings.....

(I currently have no access to the troublesome PC, so I will try this later).

R.

On Thu Jan 23 01:10:13 UTC 2014 Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 22, 2014, at 1:23 AM, Stub <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have F18 on an i686 PC.
>>
>>Why does the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg still have entries to the logical volumes?
>It's clearly confused, I think the chroot isn't correctly set up.
Thanks Chris Murphy for your feedback.

In fact, I do believe my basic idea was OK, of copying the system files from one disk on the logical volumes to another disk with regular partitions. I could do this safely while booted from a Live USB medium.

It turned out that /etc/default/grub was the culprit that stopped the boot process. This file contains the boot conditions as configured during that first install. The file is 'automagically' created by anaconda during the first full install of the OS. There is a python script in the anaconda package that is responsible for this, but it is (for me) unusable as a stand-alone module.

I you are changing the boot conditions later, then that file needs to be adjusted manually. Unfortunately there is very little information around about what changes should go in there for a given boot sequence......

Fortunately I have another fedora PC that boots from regular partitions and I copied the /etc/default/grub from that PC. After that I created a new /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and recreated the initramfs with dracut (I'm not sure the latter is really necessary).

Then the PC booted flawlessly.

I figured that /etc/default/grub is still a rather undocumented 'feature' of the new grub2 bootloader.....

Regards,
R.