Install problem

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Jan 25 06:16:34 UTC 2014

On 01/19/2014 08:04 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> On 01/19/2014 03:37 PM, Doug wrote:
>> Trying to install Fedora 32 KDE on second hard drive. This drive has
>> been partitioned with /dev/sdb1 formatted as NTFS, and /dev/sdb5 and
>> /dev/sdb6
>> formatted as ext4.  The Fedora install disk says there is only 2.77MB
>> available on the disk. What gives, and how do I fix it?
>>
>> After mounting the disk partitions using PCLOS, I do a df -a and see
>> this:
>>
>> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>>
>> /dev/sdb6        49G  180M   46G   1%
>> /media/662eba9a-9b8f-41c3-83b9-ebe7a99a27c9
>> /dev/sdb1        51G    67M   51G   1% /media/094E20372CEB488B
>> /dev/sdb5        49G  180M   46G   1%
>> /media/a0ba2017-3c90-4dfb-b946-f737050f63e7
>>
>> Please advise--doug
> 2.77MB is the space that is not used by any partition. If you want to
> do an automatic install, delete partition 5 and 6 and let the install
> create the partitions it is going to use. If the partitions have data
> you want to keep, then you can not easily install from a live CD. You
> have to do a custom partitioning telling the installer to use the
> existing partitions and where you want to mount them.
>
> Mikkel
I could not find an option to use a standard file system. Since any
distro that I install, either in a partition on /dev/sda or /dev/sdb,
must share the hardware
with other distros and Windows, and must be readable by other Linux
distros, I finally gave up. I don't know what the filesystems that
Fedora wants to use
are, I never heard of them, and my Linux (PCLOS) can't read them, nor
will the Fedora install give me an option to use only part of the disk,
I really
want nothing to do with it.  My intention was to use the Fedora 32-bit
system to access a program not available on my choice of everyday
distro, and
it seems I can't, I have decided to install Kubuntu, which behaves. I'm
surprised that anyone would use Fedora.

--doug