Converting pdfs to mobi

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Mon Jan 27 13:41:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-01-26 at 19:09 -0500, Max Pyziur wrote:
>> However, I just tested converting the same document (pdf->mobi) using
>> both calibre and Amazon's Kindle service. The results are far better
>> from Amazon. Calibre's ebook-convert jumbles the output.
>>
> Depending on what you mean by "jumbles", I can't say that's a surprise
> for some PDFs. Are you saying it happens every time? Maybe a report to
> Cailbre's author is in order.

In general, calibre's conversion of pdfs is less robust than Amazon's. By
"jumbles," I mean that certain documents have things such as footnotes, or
endnotes; some have anchors. In Amazon's case, more often,these seem to be
handled correctly. With Calibre, the footnotes can be interspersed with
the regular text; in that way, the regular text is "jumbled" with the
footnotes presenting problems of continuity.

Perhaps a report to calibre's authors is in order.

> poc

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com