Configuring grub questions

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 27 15:54:52 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 04:13 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an old computer with two disks. One is a F18 system and the
> other is a Win7 system. Both disks were installed and configured as
> primary. I've been shutting down the system and switching the IDE
> cables depending on which one I'd like to have booted.
>
> How can I configure the grub on the F18 system so I can control which
> system I'd like to load at boot time?

answered in links provided below.

> Could I set up the F18 system as a secondary disk with the Win7 system
> as the primary, and boot from the secondary with grub configured on
> it? I'm not sure how Win7 would respond to booting as a secondary disk
> when the install was done as primary...

put oos and grub boot loader on 1st drive.

> If this was lilo, I could probably figure it out, but I'm unsure how
> to configure grub for this specifically.

i doubt it. unless lilo has changed greatly, i do not believe it
would see oos7

[below]

by your post, you appear to be new to linux and too old with oos and
therefore have been doing things the hard way and wrong way.

the hard way = swapping drives.

the wrong way = asking a basic question that answer can easily be found
with a quick search on internet.

because you are using linux, a good/logical place to search is;

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/

where you will find;

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-to-add-windows-7-to-grub-boot-entry-892791/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/install-win7-hp-upgrade-to-win-xp-on-dual-boot-grub-problem-851908/

matters not if you are using an hp or not. same solution applies to any
box with linux installed.

if you are using first version of grub, instructions for set up are at;

    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy/

if you are using second version, ie, grub2, instructions for set up are at;

    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Installing-GRUB-using-grub_002dinstall.html

a little reading never hurts as it gives one knowledge of what one is not
unaware of. ;-)

and, yes, i could have posted step by step instructions on what to do. but
why should i? if you read above links, you will find all of what you want
to know and then some. plus, it saves me a lot of typing. ((GBWG))

enjoy.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.