Do any systemd devs actually use it on a server?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 18:13:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:54:33 -0700
Pete Travis wrote:

> I read in this bug report that you are using a bespoke yum plugin to
> disable KSM and ksmtuned.  Logically, the more your local configuration
> differs from default, the more difficult it will be to troubleshoot
> affected software. Have you considered masking unwanted services, ie
> `systemctl mask KSM.service` ?

Disable, mask, it wouldn't have made any difference. Whenever
a yum update dragged in new versions of those services, it
always enabled them regardless of the administrator requested
setting, thus the big hammer to re-disable them every time
yum ran.

It appears, however, that those services do not even exist
in fedora 20. (Perhaps the whole KSM thing was dropped
as a bad idea? Maybe they still lurk around under a different
name? I have no idea).

The important thing for the bugzilla is that running two
"systemctl disable" commands in a row is one of the
many triggers to make systemd go funny in the head
and screw up lots of stuff (even does it disabling services
that don't exist :-).