Recovering/Restoring Boot Partition

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Wed Jan 29 18:41:59 UTC 2014

A short while ago, during a power cut, my desktop machine failed.  A
power-up displayed symptoms consistent with a missing /boot partition;
attempting to boot under the rescue CD seemed to confirm this when it
did not mount the /boot partition.

Booting under the F20 LiveUSB key allowed me to manually mount the
partition; however, while I see files listed there some of them do not
appear to be readable.

I have seen the suggestion that all I need to do is to reinstall the
appropriate kernel files in the right place:
	* Mount / via LiveUSB
	* Mount /boot under / (above)
	* "mount -bind" the current /proc directory to the
	  HD /proc directory
	* "chroot" to the / directory mounted (above)
	* "yum install" of grub, kernel, and logos
(all via
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/187043-howto-recover-boot-partition.html"

Is that what I'm looking to do, or is this dangerous?  Are there
alternate/better suggestions?
 -Don