Problem with iptables

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 01:23:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Pete Travis <lists at petetravis.com> wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2014 6:51 PM, "JD" <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ​​
> > On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > On 07/01/14 08:11, JD wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > > When I run /sbin/system-config-services
> > > I see that iptables is enabled, and that
> > > /etc/sysconfig/iptables contains the rules
> > > I want.
> > >
> > > However, after bootup, I open a terminal and
> > > run iptables -L -n
> > > and do not see those rules at all, and all
> > > the rules are in "ACCEPT" state.
> > >
> > > I have to resort to start iptables manually
> > > in order to install the rules I have in
> > > /etc/sysconfig/iptables.
> > >
> > > So, what needs to be done to force iptables to run
> > > and to use the rules I have in the iptables file?
> > >

> > > Directly after a reboot I would run....
> > >
> > > systemctl status iptables.service
> > >
> > > And, yeah, your emails are a bit hard to read.
> > >

> > # systemctl status iptables.service
> > iptables.service - IPv4 firewall with iptables
> >    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/iptables.service; enabled)
> >    Active: inactive (dead)
> >
> > # iptables -L -n                                        ....
> >
> > --------------------------
> >
> > What I have in /etc/sysconfig/iptables:
> > # Firewall configuration written by system-config-firewall
> > # Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
> > *filter
> > :INPUT
> > ACCEPT[0:0]
> > :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
> > :OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
> > -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> > -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -j DROP
> > COMMIT
> >
> > --
> >

> Congrats, you've created a firewall ruleset just like the default, but
> without ssh. You could have:
> `firewall-cmd --remove-service ssh --permanent `
>
> You can read about firewalld at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD
> . If you prefer to disable firewalld and use iptables, there are
> instructions on the same page.
>
> -

​I am not familiar with firewalld (yet).
But it was enbled by default, and I think that
is what was the culprit, since I had not created
any rulesets for it.
I just disabled it, and will spend some time studying
ruleset creation for it.
By the way, why would I need a rule to allow sshd?
I never ssh into my machine from other computers.

Thanks for the heads up.
​