Problem with iptables

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Tue Jul 1 13:44:58 UTC 2014

On Jun 30, 2014 9:03 PM, "JD" <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Pete Travis <lists at petetravis.com> wrote:
>
>> Congrats, you've created a firewall ruleset just like the default, but
without ssh. You could have:
>> `firewall-cmd --remove-service ssh --permanent `
>>
>> You can read about firewalld at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD
. If you prefer to disable firewalld and use iptables, there are
instructions on the same page.

> ​Well, Pete, thanks for the heads up again.
> Indeed, it was the firewalld that was defaulting to a fully
> open firewall.
> I disabled it, and now iptables is indeed working after bootup.
>
> Thanx again.​
>

> --

You should go back and read the iptables dump you had by default.  It was
*not* fully open; you had ssh and I think mdns, every other new packet was
rejected.

Iptables can be confusing.  Firewalld can be much easier to understand and
manage once you get the hang of it.  You really should read that wiki page.

--Pete