Sudden onset ftp problem - can't ftp through vpn

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Wed Jul 2 13:39:37 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 07/02/14 10:51, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 07/02/14 09:36, Bill Oliver wrote:
>>> 227 Entering Passive Mode (50,7,12,26,124,13)
>>> 150 Ok to send data.
>>>

>>> Hang!
>>>
>>> Works fine if I don't use a vpn.  I run a roundcube server on the same machine, and I can download images I receive in emails using the roundcube server, even if I go to the web page through the vpn server.
>>>
>>> A quick Google search provided some old stuff, but it wasn't very helpful.
>>>
>>> Any pointers on how to research this?
>> Does it also hang if you turn off passive mode before the transfer?
>>

> That probably won't help....   I had my opposite hat on.

However, explicitly invoking "active" does give me a different error:

[user at localhost ~]$ ftp -A www.billoblog.com
Connected to www.billoblog.com (50.7.12.26).
220 (vsFTPd 2.2.2)
Name (www.billoblog.com:<defaultname>): <username>
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> mput IMG*
mput IMG_0032.jpg? y
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
425 Failed to establish connection.
mput IMG_0055.JPG? y
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
425 Failed to establish connection.
mput IMG_20140701_144826.jpg?

I'll also add that this doesn't seem to be location-specific.  I've now tried it from home and from work (with work being the guest network at a university).  Get the same problem.  Also, I have not modified my firewall in the timeframe involved, so a tweak in *my* firewall didn't cause this, I think (I can't speak for the university).

The target machine is a virtual machine I rent from a company in Chicago in order to avoid downtime due to hurricanes and such that seem so common where I live (expecting one tomorrow!). I'll have to ask them if they've changed something...

billo