firefox defaults to offline

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Wed Jul 2 23:44:09 UTC 2014

07/02/2014 03:42 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 06:15 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 07/03/14 05:03, Mike Wright wrote:
>>> Running f20 and firefox 30.0.
>>>
>>> Firefox now starts in "Offline" mode.  This is very annoying to me. I've never found a need to use a browser offline.
>>>
>>> I've looked at every preference, about:config setting, and I haven't been able to find a way to start firefox in "Online" mode.
>>>
>>> Any helpers?
>>
>> I've not heard of this complaint in a long time.....
>>
>> In the past, one would go to about:config and find the entry for "networkmanager" and disable it.
>
> Or actually configure NetworkManager consistently. IOW if NM is running,
> you need to check that it is managing the network interface, otherwise
> some apps (Evolution being another one) will think the network is down
> when it isn't.

Hi POC,

Interesting.  Been here a long time I don't recall this at all.  Because
I haven't any wifi and define all interfaces in network-scripts (and had
serious problems with NM messing things up in earlier fedoras) this is
the first fedora (20) I've given it a spin.

Set the primary device to NM_CONTROLLED=yes and ifupdown'd the ifc and
firefox came up online. Set NM_CONTROLLED=no, ifupdown'd the ifc and it
still comes up online now.  I think it's more of NM's invisible
footprints I mentioned in another post.

In my searches through about:config "toolkit.networkmanager.disable"
wasn't on my list of things to look for :)

Thanks for the pointers.  Learn a little bit more every day.