Headless Google Cloud Print only works when started from ssh -Y

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 09:36:26 UTC 2014

I've followed the instructions on

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2906017?hl=en

to set up a Google Cloud printer using a headless F19 server.

I used ssh -Y -C <servername> to log into the service, install Chrome and set
up the printer.

I then ran

nohup /usr/bin/google-chrome \
	--type=service \
	--enable-cloud-print-proxy \
	--no-service-autorun \
	--noerrdialogs \
	--user-data-dir=/home/gary/.GoogleCloudPrint &

NOTE: different path to google-chrome used as the one specified on the web
page just generated library errors.

Which started Chrome in the background. However, when I logged out Chrome
died. To get it working quickly (it was home time after all) I logged in text
mode on the console and ran the same command. However that just core dumped
immediately.

If I log into the server using SSH but don't specify the -Y and therefore
don't have X forwarding, it does the same:

[gary at lou ~]$
nohup /usr/bin/google-chrome  --type=service --enable-cloud-print-proxy --no-service-autorun --noerrdialogs --user-data-dir=/home/gary/.GoogleCloudPrint
&
[1] 6204
[gary at lou ~]$ nohup: ignoring input and appending output to ‘nohup.out’

[1]+  Aborted                 (core dumped)
nohup /usr/bin/google-chrome --type=service --enable-cloud-print-proxy --no-service-autorun --noerrdialogs --user-data-dir=/home/gary/.GoogleCloudPrint
[gary at lou ~]$

Does anyone know how to get round this problem?
Does anyone have a systemctl unit written so that I can do this at startup?

Cheers

Gary
--
Gary Stainburn