OT: Web server no longer works [Further problems?]

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 3 19:55:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 13:12 -0500, Kevin Martin wrote:
> On 07/03/2014 12:47 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > I run a small weather station that acts as a web server.  Recently it's become impossible to
> > access it via the web, though I can still access it over my local network.  Some details:
> >
> >   * My ISP is AT&T using their Uverse service.
> >   * The server was accessible from the web a month or so ago.
> >   * The server has web address oaklandweather.no-ip.org, which currently resolves to
> >     99.121.57.131, and probably will for some time.
> >   * I can ping the server either over the LAN or via the web without trouble.
> >   * An attempt to connect to the weather station as a web server (HTTP) times out.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that the Uverse gateway is set up correctly: It worked properly in the past
> > and I haven't made any changes to it.  An inspection of the settings doesn't show anything
> > obviously wrong.
> >
> > Has AT&T changed its terms of service?  I vaguely remember the terms of service don't allow
> > customers to run servers; but I can't find any such restriction in documents available on the
> > web.  Also the (AT&T supplied) gateway has a function to explicitly open a "pinhole" allowing
> > HTTP service from a computer on the customer side of the gateway.

> Do a google search for microsoft and no-ip.  You may have gotten clobbered by microsoft.

It looks like there may be further problems.  Note that I can ping
oaklandweather.no-ip.org, but not connect to it as a web server.  Is it
possible for M$ to mess up the DNS entry so that ping is resolved
correctly but HTTP is not?  Here's the failure report from Konqueror:

        The requested operation could not be completed

        Timeout Error

        Details of the Request:

        Although contact was made with the server, a response was not
        received within the amount of time allocated for the request as
        follows:
              * Timeout for establishing a connection: 20 seconds
              * Timeout for receiving a response: 600 seconds
              * Timeout for accessing proxy servers: 10 seconds...

Thanks - jon