4K monitors?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 22:26:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 15:11:34 -0700
don fisher wrote:

> Can you tell me where documentation exists on how to set up the XWindow
> system. I used /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the past, but that all appears to
> have been replaced by something I cannot find.

You don't, it "just works" (except when it doesn't). All the info
is supposed to come from the EDID reported by the monitor. Any
tweaks are done at runtime via xrandr, xinput, etc. (which may or
may not be supported by some GUI setting tool that (maybe) remembers
and reproduces the settings via things like the gnome
settings daemon).

On my system at home, I have to override the EDID info to make
the system believe I have a 47 inch monitor and not a 7 inch
monitor with incredibly dense resolution :-). This has all
the same info you used to be able to put in xorg.conf, but now
it comes in a semi-documented binary file with no good tools
to edit it instead of an ascii text file. Such an improvement :-(.