Somewhat OT, but possibly useful to all Fedorites

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 02:30:26 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​​
> It will almost certainly be fine, at worst it may be a bit slower
> under the right benchmark, but unlikely to be anything that matters
> unless you need it as fast as it possibly can be.
>
> The underlying platter data rate is almost certainly less than 3Gbps.
>  Check the manufacturer's web site I would suspect even if that is a
> *FAST* spinning disk it is still below 200MB/second (2Gbps).     It
> will be listed as a range, the lower number is the speed on the inside
> of the disk and the higher is the outside of the disk.   Rotational
> speed is constant, but the amount of data on a given track is more on
> ​​
>
> the outside as there is more area to encode bits and the disks place
> sectors based on constant area.
>
> ​I also looked at similar analyses.
It turns out that the combinations of
sata ii enclosure, sata ii controller do indeed
throttle the wire speed of the data transfer from
a sata iii drive to the system.
But by most analyses, it has no effect on data
throughput because mechanical drives are still a long ways
from outstripping the 3gbps wire speed.

Cheers,

JD