Cannot login to KDE - solved

Stephen Davies sdavies at sdc.com.au
Fri Jul 4 06:30:37 UTC 2014

I usually leave myself logged in 24/7 to my Fedora 20 system but recently, I
went on holidays in Europe leaving house-sitters so logged out.

When I returned on Monday, I found that I could login to a tty and to ssh but
not to KDE.

As soon as I entered my password, the Fedora page appeared for a second then
the screen went black then returned to the login page.

Eventually, I thought to check my .xsession-errors and that indicated that
libproj.so.0 was not found.

Installing that library fixed the problem.

(No idea why KDE would need a projections library.)

HTH,
Stephen