Possibly SOLVED, Re: postfix starting before network

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Fri Jul 4 16:30:48 UTC 2014

David Benfell writes:

> Hi all,
>
> This is still going awry....
>
> [root at munich]/home/benfell# systemctl status postfix
> postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent
>    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/postfix.service; enabled)
>    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2014-07-02 05:00:31 PDT; 9h
> ago
>   Process: 1196 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/postfix start (code=exited,
> status=1/FAILURE)
>   Process: 1194 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/postfix/chroot-update
> (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>   Process: 371 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/postfix/aliasesdb (code=exited,
> status=75)
>
> The restart (several hours later when I discover the problem) succeeds.
>
> [root at munich]/home/benfell# ls -al /etc/systemd/system/multi-
> user.target.wants/postfix.service
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Jul  1 18:42 /etc/systemd/system/multi-
> user.target.wants/postfix.service -> /etc/systemd/system/postfix.service
> [root at munich]/home/benfell# cat /etc/systemd/system/multi-
> user.target.wants/postfix.service
> [Unit]
> Description=Postfix Mail Transport Agent
> Requires=network.target
> After=syslog.target network.target

--snip--

After poking around a bit, it appears the network.target is insufficiently
stringent. I have modified postfix.service, nsd.service, and
ejabberd.service to use network-online.target instead.

I will not be surprised if other services also need this change. I don't
know what the shortcut is that's taken with network.target, but such a
shortcut doesn't sound right to me.

--
David Benfell
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you do not understand the