4K monitors?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sat Jul 5 01:01:16 UTC 2014

Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 22:58:27 +0200
> lee wrote:
>
>> Huh?  You can't just specify a resolution in xorg.conf anymore?
>
> Nope.

man xorg.conf says otherwise.

> After proudly ignoring EDID for 20 years, linux switched

20 years ago there was no EDID --- if there was, monitors that supported
it were not widely used.  And it's supported since a long time now.

> gears completely. Now it basically pays no attention to anything
> you have to say in xorg.conf (though you can occasionally
> put little fragments of things it is willing to look at in
> the xorg.conf.d directory for maybe doing things like tweaking
> options in the video driver).

The man page says otherwise.  Without an xorg.conf, my keyboard won't
work right, neither would my old trackball.  I don't know if you can
still do mode lines as you had to before there was EDID.  It would be a
pity if not.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)