why do we use systemd?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Sat Jul 5 13:10:35 UTC 2014

Tom Horsley wrote:

> It really does enable my system to boot infinitely faster
> than the alternatives,

Is this really true?
Fedora-20 boots reasonably fast on my fairly old laptop (Thinkpad T61),
but I didn't notice any change when Fedora went over to systemd.
(I think my CentOS-6.5 desktop boots just as fast, if not faster.)

What exactly does systemd do differently that would speed up booting?

One trivial complaint I have with systemd is that I have to type more -
"sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service" against
"sudo service NetworkManager restart".
Not much difference, perhaps, but to me the necessity of adding ".service"
shows that the developer just didn't think of the user's convenience.
I know there are rare cases where one has to say something else,
but why not make the default to add ".service" if nothing is given?
Or perhaps TAB could complete it?

And what (if anything) is the replacement for "chkconfig --list"?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net