why do we use systemd?

Adrian Sevcenco Adrian.Sevcenco at cern.ch
Sat Jul 5 13:33:07 UTC 2014

On 07/05/2014 04:10 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>> It really does enable my system to boot infinitely faster
>> than the alternatives,
>
> Is this really true?
> Fedora-20 boots reasonably fast on my fairly old laptop (Thinkpad T61),
> but I didn't notice any change when Fedora went over to systemd.
> (I think my CentOS-6.5 desktop boots just as fast, if not faster.)
>
> What exactly does systemd do differently that would speed up booting?
>
> One trivial complaint I have with systemd is that I have to type more -
> "sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service" against
> "sudo service NetworkManager restart".
> Not much difference, perhaps, but to me the necessity of adding ".service"
on my f20 i can do systemctl restart sshd
moreover you can do an alias like serviced="sudo systemctl"
(serviced because service is still used for /etc/init.d inhabitants)
but also you can do this:
sudo service sshd restart
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl restart  sshd.service

also the reverse is possible:
sudo systemctl disable sys_basher.init.service
sys_basher.init.service is not a native service, redirecting to
/sbin/chkconfig.
Executing /sbin/chkconfig sys_basher.init off

> shows that the developer just didn't think of the user's convenience.
> I know there are rare cases where one has to say something else,
> but why not make the default to add ".service" if nothing is given?
> Or perhaps TAB could complete it?
the autocomplete is working

> And what (if anything) is the replacement for "chkconfig --list"?
"systemctl --no-pager -a" for "all loaded units/properties, including
dead/empty ones"
"systemctl --no-pager list-unit-files" for all units installed in system

for the current loaded units/sockets you have
systemctl list-units
systemctl list-sockets

as for the boot timings you have systemd-analyze and "systemd-analyze blame"

Overall check the man pages .. there are a lot of interesting things you
can do with systemd but it takes some time to get used to ...
i am still not comfortable with all the options of journalctl and i am
wondering how it will go when i will migrate my servers to centos 7..

Adrian