why do we use systemd?

Adrian Sevcenco Adrian.Sevcenco at cern.ch
Sat Jul 5 13:35:53 UTC 2014

> On Sat, 2014-07-05 at 15:10 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> What exactly does systemd do differently that would speed up booting?
>>
>> One trivial complaint I have with systemd is that I have to type more
>
> It allows the various components to have specific dependencies so they
> can start as soon as everything is in place. Older mechanisms such as
> the traditional System V init scripts were much more limited and could
> only do this with very ad hoc and buggy per-service tests, so they
> mostly didn't.
>
>> "sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service" against
>> "sudo service NetworkManager restart".
>> Not much difference, perhaps, but to me the necessity of adding
>> ".service"
>> shows that the developer just didn't think of the user's convenience.
>> I know there are rare cases where one has to say something else,
>> but why not make the default to add ".service" if nothing is given?
>> Or perhaps TAB could complete it?
>
> +1. One of my pet gripes about systemd is that it introduces a lot of
> new terminology without a clear explanation. I still don't understand
> the difference between a target and a service.
a service is a service .. a target is :
"A unit configuration file whose name ends in ".target" encodes
information about a target unit of systemd, which is used for grouping
units and as well-known synchronization points during start-up."

as said in man systemd.target (which i found by "apropos systemd target")

HTH,
Adrian