X thinks it is up, but screen is black?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 16:59:32 UTC 2014

In my quest for more pixels, I'm trying to get my
new UHD monitor working in 3840x2160 resolution.

The nouveau driver doesn't know how to drive
the GTX 750Ti card, so I had to install the
nvidia binary drivers from rpmfusion.

At this point, everything seems to work except
for the one minor detail that the screen is
always black :-).

X thinks it is up and running, the Xorg log
file shows it recognizing the video card
and selecting 3840x2160 resolution. Nothing
that seems like an error appears anywhere
I've looked. I just have that black screen
problem (Ctrl-Alt-F2 does get me to a console,
so it works fine in console mode - it also
worked in 1920x1080 mode on a different
video source that couldn't support UHD
resolution).

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

(I'm off to try stuff like a different cable
in the hope that it is something dumb).