Network availability systemd dependency failure at boot

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jul 5 23:17:03 UTC 2014

> On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 08:13:45 -0400
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> Everything was always broken
>
> I'm pretty sure everything was always broken.
> I never had the combination of postfix, dovecot,
> and stunnel operational more than about 10% of
> the time with pure systemd.
>
> I just took a more practical approach and made
> an rc.local script that restarted services I found
> not always coming up right after a short delay.
> This sort of thing:
>
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 5 ; service stunnel restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 7 ; service postfix restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
>
> That at least works up to the day systemd decides
> no one needs rc.local and they drop support for
> it (a day that is sure to come :-).

Direct support for rc.local has already been "deprecated". Somewhere I
read something from Lennart and it was clear that he has an almost
religious hatred for doing things 'the old way', so much so that
rc.local is not 'desired'.

And since systemd wants to run everything as the final user, there are
all lots of problems now in creating folders etc which were easy to do
before and difficult now, which some lines in rc.local can easily avoid.
But not easy to set up.

I've been playing with using @reboot in a cron script. Using @reboot is
effectively a run-once trigger for cron. I am still not sure exactly
when in the boot sequence the @reboot is triggered. Hopefully after the
network is up! ( The @reboot gem learnt from that dangerous extremist
publication Linux Journal!)

Geoff