why do we use systemd?

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sun Jul 6 04:34:32 UTC 2014

Garry T. Williams writes:

> On 7-5-14 22:07:17 Garry T. Williams wrote:
>> whenever systemd determines that the multi-user Target is its
>> objective.  This corresponds to what we used to call system level 2.
>
> Heh.  How quickly I forget.  That should be *run* level *3*.

How quickly indeed. Run level 3 did not include a display manager. That was
run level 5, at least on the variants I'm remembering (my very dim
recollection is that Debian--I might be confused--did run levels
differently, many moons ago). To my limited knowledge, systemd does not
make that particular fine a grain of control possible (and, for my
purposes, this doesn't matter).

--
David Benfell
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you do not understand the