why do we use systemd?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 13:21:05 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-07-05 at 22:07 -0400, Garry T. Williams wrote:
> The systemd(1) manual page uses the term "entity" -- not object to
> refer to units.  And it says units encapsulate various objects.
> Perhaps this is the source of confusion?

The word "entity" is not used anywhere in the systemd(1) man page. The
plural "entities" is used exactly once, in the phrase "systemd provides
a dependency system between various entities called "units" of 12
different types". So apparently entity==unit.

The term "object" is used twice. Once is in reference to "file system
objects" which I assume has the usual meaning. The other is in "Units
encapsulate various objects that are relevant for system boot-up and
maintenance".

So to sum up: systemd manages dependency relations between entities
called units. Units encapsulate objects in 12 different ways. Objects
are <insert hand-waving here>

I repeat that I am not attacking systemd here, I'm criticizing the way
it's described. It may seem perfectly clear to those who already
understand it, but it's not at all clear to those who are used to
something different.

poc