why do we use systemd?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sun Jul 6 16:52:04 UTC 2014

Glenn Holmer <shadowm at lyonlabs.org> writes:

> On 07/06/2014 03:53 AM, lee wrote:
>> Glenn Holmer <shadowm at lyonlabs.org> writes:

>>> Twelve different types of *units*, of which service and target are two.
>>> A target is like a runlevel (it groups units together), except that more
>>
>> Then systemd is broken by design.  A shepherd is *not* a type of sheep.
>
> systemd is broken because you don't like the terms it uses? Really?

It is not true that a shepherd is a type of sheep.  Wrong usage of terms
--- or call it flawed logic --- is by design, meaning it's broken by
design, regardless whether I like it or not.

> "Target" makes perfect sense: to reach a certain target, enable the
> units in its list.

A target is not a unit then.

>> And why would so many types of units be needed?
>
> http://www.lyonlabs.org/just-rtfm.jpg

I don't want to read the documentation.  Some of it was quoted here in a
posting, and that piece was badly written and confusing.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)