why do we use systemd?

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sun Jul 6 21:42:55 UTC 2014

Sam Varshavchik writes:

> David Benfell writes:
>
>> Systemd needs to be a vast improvement to justify this. And it seems that
>> not everyone even agrees that it's an improvement at all.
>
> Here's something that I can't figure out: with this entire thread in mind,
> why is all of this is being said /now/???
>
> What happened?
>
> I can understand reading stuff like this if systemd was new to Fedora 20.
> But it's not. It's been here for how many releases now? I forget
> (intentionally).
>
> I remember when, as soon as systemd arrived at the debutante ball, it was
> painfully obvious to me what a horrible abomination it was. I distinctly
> recall bitching about it immediately, but my voice was just one of a few.
>
> This flame war is, what, two years too late?

I haven't been on Fedora for two years, so I can't speak to that. But your
voice was not alone. You should have seen the imbroglio on the Arch Users
list.

If memory serves, the operators actually shut down that list for a day or
two to allow tempers to cool down.

And I might add that at that time, I was inclined to view systemd somewhat
more favorably than I do now.

--
David Benfell
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you do not understand the