Mirroring issue

Mike Chambers mike at mtchambers.com
Mon Jul 7 15:26:46 UTC 2014

Hey all,

Got an issue I want to get thoughts/opinions on.

I currently mirror Fedora releases, updates, rawhide, etc...But on the
releases, that is the problem.  Fedora has a few directories to mirror
and not sure which scenario to use.

1 - I currently mirror the *whole kit and kaboodle* directory (it has
everything in other words), that way if/when I install a package that is
or uses a package from the Fedora main repository, I can get it.  And
then if for some reason I need to reinstall Fedora (20 in this case), I
use the http option as my connection is pretty fast and doesn't take
forever to install.  Why I do it that way is because the *everything*
directory doesn't have an installable tree to use.

2 - I have mirrored the installable tree directory (basically the
release, as you would get it on dvd), so can do reinstalls or whatever
from Fedora with no issues.  But if you install a package from somewhere
and it calls for a Fedora package not in the mirror, then you are stuck.
So I guess using this scenario, would have to change the repo from yum
to use the *everything* tree from http (since the connection is fast
anyway), but takes away reason for mirroring in first place.

3 - I guess I have the room (spare disk used for mirroring and such away
from system) to just mirror both and not have to use internet at all, at
least from Fedora perspective?

Any thoughts/suggestions/issues, are more than welcome.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best little town on Earth!"