Camera mounting

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jul 8 01:21:21 UTC 2014

On 07/07/14 22:44, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 06 July 2014, lee sent:
>> Why would anyone but root be allowed to mount something?
> Because *I* put a CD, DVD, USB drive, into *my* computer, logged in as
> *myself*...
>
> If I have to be root, or gain root privileges, to do such a basic
> requirement, these days, then security is being busted by either knowing
> the root password, or being allowed to use my own password for such a
> hazardous thing.

If folks would reference the other thread entitled "Camera mounting" they may discover the partial answer.  With maybe a tiny bit of investigation.  The OP was booting their system to multi-user.target, a.k.a. run level 3.

So.....

Boot to multi-user.target
login
startxfce4
insert USB drive
icon appears on desktop
click on icon, system requests authentication

logout/login
startx (default for me is KDE)
insert USB drive
USB drive is auto-mounted under /run/media/$user/something

Boot to graphical.target
login selecting xfce4 as desktop
insert USB drive
icon appears on desktop
click on icon, USB drive is auto-mounted under /run/media/$user/something

I leave it up to xfce users to determine the difference between the 2 starting methods.  :-)