running instance on OpenStack Folsom release

Patrick Laimbock patrick at laimbock.com
Tue Jul 8 20:40:59 UTC 2014

Hi Denis,

On 08-07-14 16:57, Denis Betivu wrote:
> /Hello,
>

> I installed OpenStack Folsom on Fedora 18 according to the instructions I found on this website:
> //fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_OpenStack_on_Fedora_18
> but I encountered an error when trying to launch an instance. I googled a lot but I could not find anybody else
> who encountered this particular issue.

 From http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/config-reference/content/kvm.html

This message indicates that the KVM kernel modules were not loaded.

If you cannot start VMs after installation without rebooting, the
permissions might not be set correctly. This can happen if you load the
KVM module before you install nova-compute. To check whether the group
is set to kvm, run:

# ls -l /dev/kvm

If it is not set to kvm, run:

# udevadm trigger

Fedora 18 is EOL and the OpenStack Folsom release is pretty ancient
given its furious pace of development so why not try something more
recent (with a better chance of Community support) like Fedora 20, RHEL7
or CentOS 7 and then install the OpenStack Icehouse release using the
Quickstart at http://openstack.redhat.com ?

Have fun with OpenStack!

HTH,
Patrick