why do we use systemd?

Norman Gaywood ngaywood at une.edu.au
Tue Jul 8 23:49:51 UTC 2014

On 7 July 2014 08:34, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-07-06 at 13:01 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
>> *What*, for example, is "the usual meaning" of "file system objects?"
>> file? Why not just say "file?" And if the documentation really means
>> files
>> or pipes or devices, then why not say "files or pipes or devices?"
>
> I assume it means "something with a name in the filesystem".

What about a file without a name? :-)

If you delete all filenames of a file while it is opened by a process,
it still uses filesystem space but has no name.

--
Norman Gaywood, Computer Systems Officer
University of New England, Armidale,

ngaywood at une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://mcs.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312

Please avoid sending me Word or Power Point attachments.